life, thousand, curve, crystal, mainstream, cow, kitchen, cross, fence, note, underneath, pair, rusty, blanket, south, fluid, five, natural, consistency, painted, stun, distress, signal, detailed, wind, graphite, cuddle.....

May 13, 2011

132 - STARK

I've gone to my archives for this one. As I watch the robins that have returned this year to my yard. I have a garden shelf next to my back door with a wood, decorative bird house sitting on it. There is just enough room between it and my garage wall where the Robins last year decided was a good spot for a nest. Did I say...right by my backdoor? Stories from others about being dive bombed by birds when going near nests worried me. Did I say...the back door is our main entrance and exit. Not only for us but also for my canine friend. Did I say that?

Every day we were careful. Every time the garage door opened she flew away. Every day we watched as a new egg was layed. Every day we were excited when another hatched. Pink. Stark naked. Naked as a jay bird. Or robin bird. Will they really grow into those eyes? Will they survive their first fall as they try to fly out of the nest onto the concrete floor below them?

I thought of many ways I could line the ground to make it softer.

We went to Mother's Day celebration.
We came home.
Gone. All of them. Not 4 days old and. Gone. No sign whatso ever as to what happened. Nest still intact. Babies. Gone. Tears. Deep sigh.

Maybe next year. No. Robins are smart.

1 comment:

  1. Since the nest was intact, it was probably either another bird or a snake that got them. That's too bad - and I think you're right, the momma will move the nest somewhere else.

    You really did great catching up your blog! I was kind of surprised to see it - you've been so busy, I thought you would just pick up on the latest day.

    You have a lot of good stuff, both pictures and commentary. Sorry I didn't have time to respond to each one.

    ReplyDelete