life, thousand, curve, crystal, mainstream, cow, kitchen, cross, fence, note, underneath, pair, rusty, blanket, south, fluid, five, natural, consistency, painted, stun, distress, signal, detailed, wind, graphite, cuddle.....

May 5, 2011

124 - LOCATE



One of the deep secrets of gardening is all about where you locate your plants. That location is not always the same in one state versus another..and sometimes not even from one yard to another. This mainly being due to the fact that people all garden differently. Yards, even though they might be only one house apart, may have different soil. Fertility of the soil, drainage, water requirements can vary so dramatically.



When I lived in Houston, I loved lavendar. Still do. In Houston, it didn't matter where I planted it, how I cared for it, out of all the varieties that were available, the very last couple of years I lived there, I finally found one I could grow. I found the right spot to locate it. Here it comes back for me so readily every year in every spot I have it planted. Go figure.



Now...in the MidWest...a plant I so loved in my native, carefree gardens - the Butterfly Gaura - is my 'midwest lavendar'. Three years in a row now I have purchased and planted them trying to find just the right spot for it. Finally, I believe that I have found the right location. Mind you, I planted three different ones last year. I had a lot of thoughts as to where to locate them. I put them in three different spots. I have one that has returned this year. Just one. But....one is better than none. I feel..I have accomplished a fantastic task.

No comments:

Post a Comment