life, thousand, curve, crystal, mainstream, cow, kitchen, cross, fence, note, underneath, pair, rusty, blanket, south, fluid, five, natural, consistency, painted, stun, distress, signal, detailed, wind, graphite, cuddle.....

June 1, 2011

151 - FLUSH

I've had a great opportunity over the past week to travel a bit to an area of north Wisconsin and the Michigan UP where several water falls can be found. I love the photographs I see of the water falls where the flush of water rushing over the rocks looks all silky. This is the look I still have some work to perfect in my photography. I get close and absolutely get it right in some photos. In others, I take several of the same view in different settings trying to get that silky look.
I have discovered that shooting falls on an intensely sunlit day is a true challenge. There is only so far you can crank down the aperture or
slow down the shutter speed. Sometimes it is a constant changing one this way and the other that way trying to find just the perfect combination of the two.

I did that for two days last weekend while I was hiking and finding falls to photograph. To some frustration and disappointment. On my way back home, I stopped at one last waterfall. It was early in the day. It was foggy and overcast. Voila....the shots came a lot easier. The flush of the water flow wasn't all washed out and blurry looking. Instead, it seemed Mother Nature had laid a silk blanket over the hillside, creating a magical, mystical view that mesmerized even the simplest of viewers.

1 comment:

  1. Rushing water is very difficult to photograph and bright sunlight can make anything hard to photograph. Glad you tried one last time - your picture turned out great.

    I have no digital photos of the U.P. The last time I was there I was still using film. Great area for photography - hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete